United and Victory play out lightning-affected stalemate

After the fixture was again delayed by lightning, Canberra United and Melbourne Victory played out a thrilling 0-0 draw at McKellar Park on Tuesday Night.

A fast-flowing affair left both sides completely gassed at the final whistle, a point apiece arguably the correct result for the final Westfield W-League regular season match.

Despite the goalless encounter, cheers were aplenty when the Victory raised their first ever Westfield W-League Premiers Plate shortly after full-time.

The squad now turn their focus toward winning the next piece of silverware on offer, becoming the Westfield W-League 2018/19 Champions.

W-League Finals Series 2019 Thin Banner Updated

With nothing on the line but pride, the match was an understandably cagey affair early on.

After waiting 40 minutes for the match to begin due to lightning strikes in the stadium’s vicinity, Lia Privitelli night lasted just 16 minutes, the 24-year-old’s substituted for Emily Gielnik following a heavy collision that left her unable to continue.

United worked their way onto the front foot, Rhoda Mulaudzi directing a header just wide of the left post after a splendid cross came in from the right by Ashleigh Sykes.

Playing her former club, Grace Maher flashed a shot just wide of the right post, streaming down the left flank to break away from the Canberra defence.


The hosts continued to stay on the front foot with captain Rachel Corsie at the forefront, keeping Victory’s forwards at bay and building attacks from the back.

United should have taken the lead when Laura Hughes stumbled her way through on goal, however the midfielder was unable to compose herself, firing the shot straight into the arms of Casey Dumont.

Live Free Banner

Dumont’s presence was felt again in the second half, making a smart save to deny a stinging Maria José Rojas shot at the near post.

Kyra Cooney-Cross went unrewarded for a dazzling run for the visitors, dribbling from her own half past two defenders before shooting just wide of the top right from 20 yards.

On debut, Rosie Galea nearly had herself the goal of the season in the 69th minute.

Controlling the ball centrally, the 18-year-old unleashed a looping shot from about 40-yards, the ball crashing off the upright and out after beating Dumont all ends up.


Natasha Dowie entered the fray with 15 minutes remaining as Melbourne looked to their captain to take the match by the scruff of the neck.

But it was Mulaudzi who nearly had the winner, forcing a superb save from Dumont as her snapshot flew toward the bottom right.

Get Onside