Reds strike twice in injury time to sink Jets

Two injury time goals have gifted Adelaide United a thrilling 3-2 victory over Newcastle Jets at McDonald Jones Stadium on Monday morning.

Late strikes to Isabel Hodgson and Veronica Latsko sealed all three points for the visitors as they came from behind twice to defeat a plucky Jets side.

HEROES: Latsko and Hodgson save the day for Reds

Telstra Banner HAL

It was a cruel blow for the home side who had taken the lead in the 85th minute through an own goal to Laura Johns and had looked set for a much needed victory in sweltering conditions.

The match had started slowly with both sides looking to conserve energy and the opener via Jets youngster Teigan Collister in the 25th minute came completely out of the blue.

The 18-year found herself in space on the right flank and seeing Reds goalkeeper Sarah Willacy off her line calmly rolled the ball past the oncoming Willacy and into the empty net.

The goal seemed to kick the visitors into action and they enjoyed the majority of possession as they went in search of an equaliser as the mercury rose.


Emily Van Egmond forced a brilliant save from Willacy 10 minutes into the second half, her thumping long-range effort desperately clawed away by the diving Reds custodian.

Moments like these are pivotal in matches and instead of going two goals up the Jets found themselves level within minutes as Fanndis Fridriksdóttir popped up for the visitors.

Finding space on the left-hand flank, the Icelandic international eased past her defender, cut inside and unleashed a venomous strike to beat Britt Eckerstrom at the near post.

Not content with a share of the spoils the Reds continued to apply serious pressure to the Jets’ goal as the match neared its conclusion.

Michelle Heyman had two good chances to find a winner within the space of two minutes, the second of which was cleared off the line by Libby Copus-Brown after Heyman had looped the ball over a rushing Eckerstrom.

Despite their domination it would be the Reds bringing the ball back to halfway in the 85th minute and in the cruellest of fashions after Johns headed the ball into her own net from a Jets cross.

It mattered little however as Hodgson pulled one back in the 92nd minute after being put through cleverly by Latsko, her shot evading a despairing Eckerstrom.

Then, cue pandemonium for the visitors as the roles reversed, Latsko getting on the end of a Hodgson cross to tap home the winner and put a massive dent in Newcastle’s finals aspirations.

A crazy end to a crazy game and a perfect way to say goodbye to a big year of Westfield W-League action.

Live Free Banner