Petratos injury-time winner breaks Adelaide hearts and ends their Finals hopes

Adelaide United’s Westfield W-League 2019 Finals Series hopes are over following a 2-1 loss to Newcastle Jets on Friday night. 

The Reds fell behind on 22 minutes when Arin Wright converted a penalty won by Larissa Crummer.

Minutes later, the Reds would level the affair after Fanndís Friðriksdóttir smashed home on 29 minutes and revived Adelaide’s chances.

But with Adelaide chasing a winner and a spot in the top four, they were left exposed at the back, allowing Panagiota Petratos to fire the winner in injury-time.

The Reds are now three points outside of a top-four spot, but with Melbourne City and Sydney FC playing in Round 14, Adelaide cannot leapfrog either side.

THE BEST OF KERR: The top five moments of a Westfield W-League legend
COMEBACK: Long road to recovery a ‘real struggle’ for Roar star Raso
NEWS: Raso keeps Brisbane’s Premiership hopes alive, end of the line for Canberra

The game began in unfortunate circumstances. Larissa Crummer ran in on goal and, in the process of sustaining a serious injury, conceded a penalty after being brought down by Sarah Willacy. 

Crummer required attention for more than 12 minutes and was eventually ushered out of the ground via ambulance. 

Wright stepped up to the plate and gave Newcastle the lead from the spot after 22 minutes.

That goal appeared to galvanise Adelaide, who were playing like a team that needed three points. 

Seek and you shall deliver, when on 29 minutes Friðriksdóttir found herself free in the box and fired home past Britt Eckerstrom. 

Friðriksdóttir’s goal was her second of the Westfield W-League 2018/19 Season and could not have come at a more crucial time.

FIXTURE UPDATES: Canberra-Victory date confirmed

She wasn’t the only Iceland international looking to get on the scoresheet, after Gunnhildur Yrsa Jonsdottir struck the bar on 66 minutes. 

Her international teammate whipped in a delightful cross, but Jonsdottir was unable to find the back of the net, inches away from breaking the deadlock.

The game then became attritional in nature, as neither side were truly able to break each other’s defence. 

Emily Condon and Teigan Collister traded long-range efforts, though both were hit straight at Willacy and Eckerstrom, respectively. 

The game livened up on 88 minutes when Michelle Heyman played through Jonsdottir. The Iceland forward’s shot trickled towards, but was cleared by goalscorer Wright. 

It would liven up even further in injury time when Petratos pounced on a Willacy save and fired home from close range. 

Cue pandemonium for Newcastle’s fans, while Adelaide were left wondering what could have been as they must reconcile another season without finals football.

Live Free Banner