Yuel brace helps Jets wrench a point off Sky Blues

A second-half double from Valentino Yuel has helped Newcastle Jets overcome a two-goal deficit to snatch a point in a 2-2 draw against Sydney FC on Saturday night.

The home side took a first-half lead through Adam Le Fondre and Elvis Kamsoba at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, before Yuel’s eight-minute brace brought the Jets level.

Le Fondre thought he had come up with the winner in the 77th minute but VAR showed that the Englishman was offside by the slightest of margins.

After failing to score in their two opening games, Steve Corica’s side have at least found the net, although they remain winless to start their Isuzu UTE A-League campaign.

This will feel like two points lost against Arthur Papas’ Jets who have been vulnerable this season due to their high line.

Corica opted to bring in Max Burgess on the right and shift Kamsoba into the frontline with Le Fondre to put the porous Jets defence under pressure.

The forward duo hassled Newcastle’s back four with intent from the get-go with Kamsoba sending a warning in the Jets’ direction when he rippled the side netting with his first foray forward.

Soon after, Paulo Retre fed Le Fondre into the Newcastle box and goalkeeper Jack Duncan brought the Sydney man to ground.

Duncan was booked by referee Jonathan Barreiro who pointed to the spot with Le Fondre slotting Sydney’s opener to the keeper’s left.

The Jets had opportunities to level with Olivier Boumal firing a Yuel cross just over the bar, before the latter failed to test Sky Blues goalkeeper Andrew Redmayne when he made a break into the box.

Sydney doubled their lead with Retre unleashing Le Fondre into the box once more in the 30th minute with Kamsoba scoring his first Sydney goal. 

Kasmoba showed little signs of slowing down after halftime as he seared past Matt Jurman to set up Milos Ninkovic at the back post who was unable to finish.

It would prove costly because Newcastle began to find their way into the game after the break with Brazilian Daniel Penha sending Yuel through.

The forward slotted past Redmayne and the goal stood after VAR was called to inspect appeals for an offside.

The duo combined again in the 65th minute with Yuel firing into the roof of Redmayne’s net to send the small group of Newcastle fans into a state of delirium and those of a Sky Blue persuasion into silence.

Sydney looked to have put the game beyond doubt when Le Fondre found the back of the net on 77 minutes. 

But VAR intervened to show that Le Fondre was offside and despite Sydney’s late assault, the Jets were able to hold firm and secure a valuable draw.