Wanderers late show cancels out Cahill strike

Late drama at Spotless Stadium has seen Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne City share the points following a 1-1 result in Harvey Norman Friday night football.

The Wanderers found a way back into the match in injury time after Tim Cahill, who was playing in his first Hyundai A-League clash in his hometown, had put the visitors in front.

Teenage substitute Lachlan Scott was awarded the equaliser after getting on the end of a last-gasp cross, although the ball appeared to be turned home by City midfielder Neil Kilkenny.

Earlier recalled Wanderers striker Kerem Bulut thought he’d broken the deadlock when he had the ball in the back of the net but the play was controversially called back for off-side.

The result sees City remain in second place, five points from the summit, while the Wanderers have edged back into the top six despite their winless run extending to five matches.

Catch up with how the action unfolded in the Match Centre

Tim Cahill


0-1     Melbourne City: Tim Cahill, 55’

City winger Fernando Brandan carved out some space on the left flank before delivering an inch perfect cross into the box. Cahill was first to the ball, with his touch taking him around keeper Jerrad Tyson, before he was able to poke the ball into an empty net.

1-1     Western Sydney Wanderers: Neil Kilkenny (OG), 90+1’

Wanderers defender Jack Clisby provided a well-placed cross into the box from the left as the home side surged forward in the closing stages. The ball was turned into his own net by Kilkenny under heavy pressure from substitute Lachlan Scott.


  • None of the last nine games between these teams have seen the same result occur in consecutive fixtures.
  • The result was the first draw Melbourne City have been involved in since Round 19 last season.


Some fancy footwork from Bruno Fornaroli in the first half saw him jink his way past three would-be Wanderers defenders before chipping into the box. Tim Cahill theatrically tried to get on the end of the cross with a bicycle kick but the cover defence arrived in a nick of time to snuff out the chance.


City goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis was substituted at half-time with a rib injury paving the way for Thomas Sorensen to make his first appearance since picking up a red card in Round 1.

Defender Osama Malik was also unable to see out the contest, replaced on the hour mark by Connor Chapman following a groin injury.


14,232 @ Spotless Stadium

Re-live the match action on Twitter

@ALeague, @wswanderersfc, @MelbourneCity, #WSWvMCY