Wanderers crowned Foxtel National Youth League Champions

Western Sydney Wanderers are the Foxtel National Youth League Champions following a thrilling 3-1 extra-time win over Melbourne City at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

In an entertaining affair, Denis Genreau fired City ahead from the penalty spot early in the second half before Lachlan Scott equalised for Wanderers with 20 minutes remaining.

Scores remained at 1-1 at full-time before goals to Marc Tokich and substitute John Roberts in either period of extra-time handed Wanderers the title.


0-1 Melbourne City: Denis Genreau, 54’

City were awarded a penalty after Zach Bates was felled in the area, with Genreau calmly slotting the spot kick into the right-hand corner.

1-1 Western Sydney Wanderers: Lachlan Scott, 70’

John Roberts combined beautifully with Abraham Majok, whipping in a delightful cross into the back post which was tucked home by Scott.

2-1 Western Sydney Wanderers: Marc Tokich, 101’

Lachlan Scott weaved his way past several City defenders inside the box before picking out Tokich who fired a powerful strike past City keeper Delianov.

3-1 Western Sydney Wanderers: John Roberts, 111’

Roberts dispossessed a tired City defender before rifling a superb strike into the bottom corner from a tight angle.


Wanderers enjoyed the better of the first stanza and went close to opening the scoring in the 25th minute with Lachlan Scott’s powerful effort well saved by City keeper James Delianov.

Western Sydney should have taken the lead just 10 minutes later with Kosta Grozos spurning a chance from close range after great build-up from Abraham Majok.

Both sides raced out of the blocks after the break with chances at either end but it was City who took the lead through captain Denis Genreau.

City were awarded a penalty after Zach Bates was brought down inside the area, with Genreau making no mistake from the spot.

Wanderers fought their way back into the contest and grabbed a deserved equaliser with Lachlan Scott finishing off some neat work from Majok and Roberts.

Marko Delic almost grabbed a late winner for City in stoppage time but his left-footed strike cannoned off the post with Wanderers keeper Nick Suman beaten.

Wanderers enjoyed the better of extra-time with Mark Tokich firing the Red and Black ahead just before the end of the first additional period.

City continued to fight and had a brilliant chance to equalise in the 110th minute only for Ramy Najjarine to blaze over the bar from just outside the six-year box.

And the miss proved costly with John Roberts sealing the win for Wanderers less than a minute later with a superb finish.