Van’t Schip rattled by City thrashing

A despondent John van’t Schip has been left to rue another mediocre defensive performance from his side as they crashed to a 5-1 loss at the hands of Wellington Phoenix.

The tally of nineteen goals conceded by Melbourne City in eight games is now comfortably the worst in the competition.

Ironically, the visitors were the better side for the first half-hour.

“Until their first goal we were playing well and controlling the game,” said van’t Schip.

“We had a few good opportunities and were putting pressure on them with corners and free-kicks. Then we served them the first goal with Erik Paartalu playing the ball back and the referee made a decision to continue the play. The linesman had his flag up so maybe that confused some of our players.”

“After that we lost control. We were not there. We gave the game away.”

After shipping two goals late in the first half, Melbourne City were hit with a double-punch after the break and found themselves 4-0 down after fifty minutes.

“It’s a concern – you lose shape, you lose control, we conceded too easily. Five or six minutes after half-time if you’re 4-0 down you know the game is over.”

Van’t Schip admits there is no quick-fix for his side.

“It’s hard work, but hard work is not enough. We have to really see what kinds of things we can change.  The way we’re playing, the personnel. It’s a mentality thing. You need results; that’s the best medicine. You can say hard work, you can say other players but in the end you need results and the moment we get chances and don’t punish them, it’s hard.”

“We have had a few games like this this year and today was the same. We had a good 35 minutes where we could go 1-0 in front and then Wellington would have to come at us even more and it would be to our advantage. But it went the other way around. We had to chase the game and they profited from the space we gave away and our mistakes.”

Melbourne City next face Brisbane Roar at home next Sunday.