Roar victors in local Youth derby

The Brisbane Roar Youth go to the top of the table after beating Gold Coast United 1-0 in the South-East Queensland derby at Spencer Park on Sunday.

The Brisbane Roar Youth go to the top of the table after beating Gold Coast United 1-0 in the South-East Queensland derby at Spencer Park on Sunday.

The Gold Coast could have opened the scoring early with a shot from James Brown going over the bar. The Gold Coast had another opportunity minutes later when a Chris Broadfoot shot was cleared on the line by the Roar’s James Donachie.

The Roar were not without their chances though with a number of crosses missing their targets and a corner kick handled easily by the Gold Coast defence.

Brown again had an opportunity to break the deadlock with a second shot on goal going over the crossbar.

The home side’s first real opportunity came in the 30th minute when skipper and Man Of The Match Chris Bush sent one too high from outside the box. Attacks on the Gold Coast defence kept coming when moments later a Rocco Visconte’s shot was pushed aside by centimetres by the United keeper Jerrad Tyson.

With the Roar maintaining strong pressure, another chance was imminent for the home side and it came in the 34th when a Jacob Mclean header was gloved easily by Tyson.

At half-time the scores were the same as when they begun with neither side being able to take their chances and get a score on the board.

It didn’t take the Gold Coast long to show their intent in the second half with both skipper Steven Lustica and substitute Chris Harold being presented with half chances.

Brisbane side broke the deadlock in the 49th minute when a through ball from Luke Brattan found Kenneth Dougall on the run who put the ball into the back of the net.

The Gold Coast responded to the goal by pressuring the Roar and restricting them to their own half until the home side had another corner kick.

Substitutions from both sides brought fresh legs and a new intensity to the game and United’s Chris Broadfoot had another half chance that again wasn’t taken. This was matched by activity from the Roar at the top of the box but the away team defence proved too strong for Brisbane to make it 2-nil.

A free kick from United’s Koh Satake in the 74th minute was the first real opportunity of the second half for the Gold Coast but it was to no avail.

As the minutes passed the urgency from the Gold Coast was evident as they pushed for the equaliser.

The Roar had a free kick of their own a few minutes later but Luke Brattan found the wall. In the next play United found themselves having another free kick but again couldn’t find the net.

The Gold Coast kept their cool, successfully defending 3 quick corners from the Roar but the home side still maintained most of the possession.

The Roar’s Alistair Quinn showed good commitment sliding to save an opportunity produced by the Gold Coast with only a handful of minutes remaining.

Undeterred, United looked threatening from another free kick moments later but Koh Satake’s header was saved.

Even with the Gold Coast doing all the attacking in the last few minutes, they were not able to find a goal and draw level with the Brisbane Roar who ended up winners 1-0.

Brisbane Roar: 1 (Dougall 49′)
Gold Coast United: 0