Reds, Roar finish all-square in Adelaide

Adelaide United and Brisbane Roar have had to settle for a point apiece following a hard-fought 1-1 draw at Coopers Stadium on Friday night.

A second-half strike from Brett Holman was chalked off by the head of Sergi Guardiola in what was a physical and end-to-end affair.

A tight opening half was not without its chances with Tommy Oar testing the gloves of Eugene Galekovic with a rasping long range drive.

Meanwhile Reds defender Dylan McGowan had a strong chance to break the deadlock just before the break after getting on the end of a free-kick but he headed just wide of the far post.

Holman’s strike on the hour mark looked like it would consign the Reds to a fifth straight loss but they rallied and deservedly earned a share of the spoils via their Spanish marksman.

The point sees John Aloisi’s side stay in third spot on the ladder, while the defending champions remain rooted to the bottom and are still chasing their first win of the campaign.

Click here to see the match highlights


0-1 Brisbane Roar: Brett Holman, 60’

The former Socceroo, leading the line for Brisbane in the absence of Jamie Maclaren, was played into space by teammate Matt McKay. Holman took a couple of touches before unleashing a long range shot which took a slight deflection that left Galekovic stranded as it rifled into the back of the net.

1-1 Adelaide United: Sergi Guardiola, 78’

Ben Garuccio swung a dangerous cross into the box which was met by the head of the Reds striker, who directed his effort back across the face of goal. Michael Theo will feel he should have made the save but the ball bounced into the back of net to register Guardiola’s third goal in as many games.

Adelaide United players celebrate their equaliser against Brisbane on Friday night.


Holman’s first Hyundai A-League goal saw him go into the record books. It was his first goal in Australia’s National League since he converted a penalty for Parramatta Power back in 2002. The gap of nearly 15 years represents the second longest in Australian football history.