Dramatic Glory comeback breaks winless run

After a winless season in 2020/21, Perth Glory began the new Liberty A-League campaign with a three-point display against Brisbane Roar in a thrilling late comeback at Macedonia Park on Saturday night.

Glory star Lisa De Vanna hobbled off with a hamstring injury before a goalkeeping mistake by Georgina Worth gifted Perth Glory the remarkable 2-1 win.

De Vanna was lively in the first half for Glory at Macedonia Park on Saturday, but she pulled up short from a sprint in the 55th minute and headed straight to the change rooms for treatment on her hamstring.

Glory will be sweating on the severity of De Vanna’s injury given her importance to the rebuilding side.

The Roar were on track for victory courtesy of Anna Margraf’s first-half strike, but they conceded two goals in the space of two minutes at the death to fall to defeat.

Susan Phonsongkham equalised in the 88th minute, before Roar goalkeeper Georgina Worth let a regulation back pass slip past her two minutes later to gift Glory the win.

Worth couldn’t believe it as the rolling ball slid by her foot and into the back of the net for an own goal.

Brisbane controlled proceedings in the first half, unleashing nine shots to one and enjoying 58 per cent possession.

But De Vanna, who considered walking away from soccer earlier this year, was a constant threat whenever the ball came her way.

The 37-year-old’s pace and deft touch worried Brisbane, and she produced some party tricks in the 17th minute to fool three defenders and set up a scoring chance.

Worth also endured a nervy moment in the 24th minute when a floating shot from De Vanna grazed the crossbar.

Despite De Vanna’s efforts, it was the Roar who opened the scoring in the 22nd minute when Margraf turned in a sharp cross from teammate Shea Connors.

Glory goalkeeper Morgan Aquino produced two sharp saves low down in the dying minutes of the first half to ensure the deficit wasn’t more than one goal. 

De Vanna’s exit in the 55th minute dampened the home side’s spirits, and Margraf came close to adding a second goal three minutes later when he shot struck the upright.

But just as all hope seemed lost, Glory perked up during the final 10 minutes of the match, and they pulled off a remarkable double strike to steal victory.

Glory recorded just a single point on the way to collecting the wooden spoon last season, and they have already surpassed that tally after one round.