Unbeaten City shut out Reds to go second

Melbourne City have extended their undefeated start to the Westfield W-League season with a composed 1-0 win over Adelaide United on Saturday evening.

City were quick out of the blocks in their first home match of the season as Kyah Simon delivered the decisive goal just eight minutes into the contest to lift Rado Vidosic’s side to second on the table.

Despite periods of extended dominance from the hosts, City could not put the result to bed as Reds goalkeeper Sarah Willacy kept her side in the contest.

Create a Football Account Thin Banner


REPORT: Hat-trick for Hamilton as Wanderers march on with impressive win over Roar
REACTION: Hamilton happy to be driving home the goals for high-flying Wanderers

They nearly rued their misses as the Reds almost stole a point in the second half when Adelaide captain Amber Brooks saw her apparent equaliser overturned for offside in one of few chances for the visitors.

The result marks back-to-back wins for City who move to seven points from their opening three matches of the Westfield W-League season.

Meanwhile, the loss is the Reds’ third straight as they remain without a competition point this season.


Key Moments

City threatened from the get-go and nearly scored inside the opening five minutes when Kyah Simon poked Ellie Carpenter’s cross just wide at the near post.

REPORT: Canberra survive scare to shoot down Jets

Simon didn’t have to wait long for her reward though as Carpenter teed her up again to score on the slide on the back of a series of sharp City passes.


Midfielder Aivi Luik continued to apply the threat as she drew a save from distance from Willacy on the quarter hour, before Adelaide spurned one of their few chances when Mary Fowler pushed a shot wide from Isabel Hodgson’s cross.

Ways to watch Westfield W-League 

Download the MyFootball Live App now
Sign up for Kayo Sports
Get Foxtel

Seeking to shore up their lead, City threatened late in the half as Claire Emslie drew a low save from Willacy on 32 minutes before Simon twice fired over the crossbar with attempts from distance before the break.


The momentum remained with the hosts in the second half as Ellie Carpenter fired a chance wide in the 50th minute.

The Reds looked to have equalised soon after but skipper Brooks’ 53rd minute close range finish to Kahlia Hogg’s pass in behind the City line was overturned for offside.


City weren’t flustered for long though and reasserted themselves as Simon was foiled on the hour after a battling scramble in the box saw her poke a shot straight at Willacy.

Willacy was then called upon again in the 65th minute when she acrobatically palmed away a strong strike on the angle from Emslie.


However, City were almost made to rue their failure to put the result to bed when substitute Georgia Campagnale dragged a shot wide in the 72nd minute following a scramble in the box.

Willacy continued to remain involved as van Egmond drew a save soon after before City captain Steph Catley sent a strong effort fizzing wide in the 82nd minute

Melbourne City travel to Sydney FC in Round 4. The match at Cromer Park on Sunday, 8 December kicks off at 4pm AEDT.
Get tickets here
Find out more in the Match Centre here

After their Round 4 bye, Adelaide United are on the road against Brisbane Roar on Saturday, 14 December. The Round 5 contest kicks off at 5.30pm AEDT.
Get tickets here
Find out more in the Match Centre here