Roar overcome Jets in NYL

The first-placed Brisbane Roar rode an explosive Rocco Visconte performance to a decisive National Youth League victory over the Newcastle Jets at Spencer Park on Sunday.

The first-placed Brisbane Roar rode an explosive Rocco Visconte performance to a decisive National Youth League victory over the Newcastle Jets at Spencer Park on Sunday.

With senior coach Ange Postecoglou in attendance at Spencer Park, the Brisbane livewire displayed pace and consistent playmaking ability to make a strong case for his inclusion in the Roar-s senior line-up for their upcoming clash with Perth Glory on Wednesday.

The home side opened proceedings with a confidence and authority befitting of the National Youth League-s table-topping team.

Visconte-s speed sparked two Brisbane attacks in the first five minutes.

After only three minutes he streaked onto a James Meyer through-ball and drove a low shot that forced a strong one-handed save from Jets shot-stopper Jack Duncan.

Another searching Roar attack was spearheaded by Visconte when he burned Jets defender Samuel Gallaway and delivered a perfectly weighted pass to Matthew Byrne on the left wing. Byrne-s one-touch cross narrowly missed Meyer on the edge of the six-yard box.

Roar coach John Sime agreed Visconte-s impact was substantial from the outset.

“He-s an excellent footballer. His attitude and commitment is probably the best I-ve come across in my time in the game. It-s up to Ange but he is right in contention [for a senior team position],” he said.

Pressure mounted on the Jets as the Roar surged forward with numbers in attack. A clever build-up saw Visconte, Meyer and midfielder Luke Brattan all turn down shots to play Alistair Quinn into the penalty area, whose shot blazed just wide from 12 yards out.

After a rare venture out of their own half, the Newcastle found themselves on the back foot again on 14 minutes. James Meyer expertly flicked on keeper Matthew Acton-s quick goal-kick on halfway to unleash Visconte, who covered 40 metres and blasted a laser shot that whistled just over Duncan-s crossbar.

Newcastle front-man Zhang Shuo was a lone bright spark for the away side and his opportunism produced two chances in quick succession. His blistering volley on 18 minutes was well saved, and Acton also thwarted his low driven shot ten minutes later.

The Roar-s persistence paid off after 30 minutes through the fleet-footed Bratton, whose nifty ball poked through a pair of off-balance Jets defenders and found Alistair Quinn, who coolly converted for a 1-0 lead.

A clever Brattan turn from a short corner should have doubled the lead just one minute later, but Meyer was left stretching for the cross and the attack fizzled out.

In a final burst before halftime, Visconte cut inside and curled a wicked shot which Duncan was unable to clear, but the resulting tap in by Quinn was correctly deemed offside.

The resolute Jets defence was breached again just after the half, James Meyer displaying blistering open-field pace to run down a through-ball and fire a low shot inside the back post.

Substitute James McLean made it 3-0 after 58 minutes, pouncing on a failed corner clearance to blast home from close range.

The Roar consistently found space down the flanks in the second half, Brattan the architect of several deep crosses that forced brave catches from Duncan midway through the period.

Centre-back pairing Daniel Bowles defended well, routinely defusing Newcastle attacks in the final fifteen minutes.

Roar coach John Sime was satisfied with his team-s performance and particularly pleased by the way goalkeeper Acton and his defence protected their lead.
“You never want to lose goals. You have to be tough and brave; a couple of the guys put their body on the line and that-s what it-s all about. 3-0 looks far better than 3-1,” Sime said.

Brisbane Roar 3 (Quinn 30, Meyer 56, McLean 58)

Newcastle Jets FC 0